Radar Satellite
Surface Analysis Upper Analysis
Storm Center Tropical Storm Center Tornado FAQ Tornado Intensity Scale Tornadoes Explained
Forums Gallery Blogs
Weather Glossary Contact Links Store

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Sunday 8 July, Thunderstorms
mdj
post Jul 8 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #1

Supercell

Group: Members
Member No.: 109

A pretty active cell is passing over southern Manchester at the moment. I'm in Heaton Chapel and the storm is SSW of me. Calculating it to be about 3 miles away, so I would say that it is centered over maybe Heaton Mersey or Didsbury. Quite a lot of Cg strokes. The storm is moving in a SW direction so I would think that Cheadle or Gatley may be under it soon. Interesting watching the big birds land at MAN, the Emirates 777 has just landed. A nice greeting for them.

Darren, you're in Stockport are'nt you ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
darren
post Jul 8 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Single Cell

Member No.: 1043

Hi Mdj hep im in Heald green near Manchester airport, cell is right overhead, have had 3 bolts very close, nearly no gap between lightning and thunder, planes have stopped coming in this side. storm headind south east towards wilmslow and macclesfield. looks like another cell is following behind, and more coming in from the irish see. 2 storms in one day oh bliss, it seems to be weakening now though

+Quote Post
mdj
post Jul 9 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #3

Supercell

Member No.: 109

Hello Darren

That will have probably been the cell I was watching from my skylight. I'm right on the A6 (and near a busy railway line) so thunder is not always audible but from the rumbles I heard I would calculate about 3 miles SW which pretty well equates to Heald Green.
Another cell passed closer by at about 2000 with several nearby discharges. The cell moved southeastwards (not southwestwards as I'd previously stated) and was over Heaton Norris/South Reddish, moving towards the Bredbury/Woodley direction.
As the storms came from a northwesterly direction, instead of the more usual (hazy) south, the contrast between blue sky, sunset and storm clouds was impressive.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2007 - 01:30 PM