Radar Satellite
Surface Analysis Upper Analysis
Storm Center Tropical Storm Center Tornado FAQ Tornado Intensity Scale Tornadoes Explained
Forums Gallery Blogs
Weather Glossary Contact Links Store

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Karachi (Pakistan) Storm, Pre monsoon weather leads to death of over 200 people
Pic_man
post Jun 25 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #1

Supercell

Group: Members
Member No.: 168

Ahead of this monsoon season a big storm has lashed the city of Karachi and environs leading to the death of over 200 of its populace:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3681938.stm

Poor standards of construction and overburdened infrastructure is believed by many to have made matters worse in this thriving coastal city.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
mdj
post Jul 4 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #2

Supercell

Member No.: 109

Hello Pic man

The Indian subcontinent, in the run up to the southwest monsoon rains, is no stranger to severe weather. The worst affected area's are usually Bangladesh, eastern and central India. Pakistan is a much drier part of the subcontinent so severe storms are much less common here. More people have been killed by severe thunderstorms ( hail, tornadoes and lightning) in Bangladesh/N E India than in perhaps any other part of the world. The electrical storms which strike pre-monsoon are fearsome lightning producers.

An overlooked part of the world when it comes to severe weather !

+Quote Post
Pic_man
post Jul 4 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #3

Supercell

QUOTE(mdj @ Jul 4 2007, 04:53 PM) *
Hello Pic man

The Indian subcontinent, in the run up to the southwest monsoon rains, is no stranger to severe weather. The worst affected area's are usually Bangladesh, eastern and central India. Pakistan is a much drier part of the subcontinent so severe storms are much less common here. More people have been killed by severe thunderstorms ( hail, tornadoes and lightning) in Bangladesh/N E India than in perhaps any other part of the world. The electrical storms which strike pre-monsoon are fearsome lightning producers.

Hi Mdj,

Yes, I knew I hadn't heard of much from Pakistan before. I have been to NE India twice, though not at a time when you generally get severe weather. NE India itself is a very overlooked region in my opinion. Here is a pic from one of my trips:
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Nagawarriordance.jpg ( 51.95k ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post
TWISTED GILL
post Jul 4 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #4

Supercell

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 156

The storms have caused so much devistation to such a large area, the death toll is still going up and many thousands are now fleeing the area in fear of more flooding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19417913/

People do not realise that India get some of the most spectacular storms at the start of the monsoon season, My gran lived in India for a while and can recall some of the storms and said she has never experienced a storm as severe anywhere.

http://english.people.com.cn/english/20010...0528_71212.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pic_man
post Jul 4 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #5

Supercell

QUOTE(TWISTED GILL @ Jul 4 2007, 09:57 PM) *
The storms have caused so much devistation to such a large area, the death toll is still going up and many thousands are now fleeing the area in fear of more flooding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19417913/

People do not realise that India get some of the most spectacular storms at the start of the monsoon season, My gran lived in India for a while and can recall some of the storms and said she has never experienced a storm as severe anywhere.

http://english.people.com.cn/english/20010...0528_71212.html

A very good friend of mine was badly hit by the Super Cyclone which hit Orissa a few years back.

+Quote Post
Pic_man
post Jul 4 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #6

Supercell

That super cyclone was in '99 Y friend lives with his wife in Bhubanaswar :

http://www.rrlbhu.res.in/envis/Super_Cyclone.htm

+Quote Post
mdj
post Jul 8 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #7

Supercell

Member No.: 109

QUOTE(Pic_man @ Jul 4 2007, 09:38 PM) *
QUOTE(mdj @ Jul 4 2007, 04:53 PM) *
Hello Pic man

Hi Mdj,

Yes, I knew I hadn't heard of much from Pakistan before. I have been to NE India twice, though not at a time when you generally get severe weather. NE India itself is a very overlooked region in my opinion. Here is a pic from one of my trips:

Cheers Pic Man,

Looks like one of the many festivals that they have over there. Were you in Orissa ? Not done the northeast myself, yet. The best storm's I have experienced have been in Kerala. I went in March 99 and there were regular evening thunderstorms with continuos CC strokes and CG's every few seconds. Only brief bursts of (very heavy) rain so plenty of energy left for fireworks !
I've been to India during the monsoon season. Lightning during the season is, in my experience, sporadic at best. Most storms I found contained little or no lightning. I did experience a spectacular dry thunderstorm one August evening in Agra, after visiting the Taj Mahal. Continuous, high level stuff. No CG's. The rain drains most of the storms energy in many cases.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2007 - 01:30 PM